In Zone 1 here I'm talking about the outside surfaces of the house, and the grounds within about twenty feet or so. Goals addressed: access, storage for food and tools, water management, beautification, delectrification. A design constraint this year is that because the cottage is not done done, most of the ground within 15-40 ft of the cottage must remain clear for forklift access. Sorry no visuals yet. Though its not needed until the fall, I'd like to highlight the importance of the root cellar.
Phase 1 (by 30 June 2008)
- Cleanup (includes Zone 2)
- Outside storage shed, 12x16 ft, N side West
- Groundcover planted in forklift exclusion zone.
- PV panels and ground-mount rack - Reuse house trailer anchors on pad 2?
- Minor driveway reroute: end the driveway N of cottage, behind shed. Turnaround extends NW. This frees up the west field for forest garden.
- Preliminary path design laid out in straw: Cottage beltway; Patio; Extensions to parking, shed, and mulch depot.
- Root cellar, location TBD.
- Roof fascia
- Additional solar water heat panels
- Finish cob on outside walls
- Rainwater catchment for summer irrigation: Gutters; Outside aboveground storage 500 gal N, 100 gal S.
- Outdoor room, N side East
- Trellis extending N from NE corner, outside dripline
- Flagstone patio
- Charcoal grill
- N side “ice cube tray” to catch snow slide from roof and freeze into blocks.
Phase 3 (by 14 May 2009)
- PV carport N of shed
- Annual/herb garden outside S. door